A landlord can terminate or restrict a non-essential service or facility – as long as they provide 30 days’ written notice on an approved form, Notice Terminating or Restricting a Service or Facility, and reduce the tenant’s rent by an amount equal to the value of the service or facility. For example, if internet was provided as part of your tenancy agreement but has now been cancelled, your rent should be reduced by the cost of a comparable internet package.
- TRAC Webpage – Services and Facilities
- TRAC Template Letter – Termination of Non-Essential Services or Facilities
- RTA Section 27 – Terminating or restricting services or facilities
- RTB Policy Guideline 22 – Termination or Restriction of a Service or Facility
- RTB Form – Notice Terminating or Restricting a Service or Facility