1.3 Housing Not Covered by the RTA

While most rental housing in BC is protected by the Residential Tenancy Act (RTA), there are some exceptions. The following is a list of the most common types of housing that are not covered by the RTA:

  • accommodation where the tenant shares a bathroom or kitchen with the owner of the property;
  • accommodation provided to a student or employee by their school;
  • vacation or travel accommodation;
  • emergency shelters and transitional housing;
  • accommodation rented by a housing cooperative to a member of the cooperative; and
  • accommodation where a tenant rents out a bedroom to a roommate.