The Residential Tenancy Branch (RTB) is the department of the provincial government responsible for administering and enforcing the Residential Tenancy Act. The primary service the RTB provides is called “dispute resolution”, which is a court-like proceeding for tenants and landlords. If you and your landlord are unable to resolve a dispute on your own, you can request that an arbitrator from the RTB review your case and provide a legally binding decision that must be obeyed.
In addition to their dispute resolution service, the RTB offers tenants and landlords:
- legal information in person, over the phone, and by email;
- a website and online tools, such as Calculators;
- approved forms and notices;
- Rules of Procedure for Dispute Resolution; and
- Policy Guidelines on key topics.