In the last section of the course, you examined some important issues relating to moving in. Here are the key points.
- Landlords are allowed to charge a security deposit of half the monthly rent.
- Landlords are allowed to charge a pet damage deposit of half the monthly rent, if pets are allowed.
- It is important for both the tenant and the landlord to cooperate and complete a move-in condition inspection report.
- The move-in condition inspection is your chance to document damage that wasn’t your fault, and ask your landlord to make repairs required by law.
- Regardless of whether or not it is a requirement of your agreement, tenant insurance is something that all tenants should strongly consider.
- At the start of your tenancy, you have the right to have the locks re-keyed or changed. Your landlord is not allowed to charge you a fee for this.